Monday, October 10, 2011
Meet MTNA President: Benjamin D. Caton.
Meet MTNA President: Benjamin D. Caton. [ILLUSTRATION OMITTED] How does it feel to be the new president of MTNA? It is with respect and reverence that approach the office of MTNApresident, both for the office itself and for the many individuals whohave served our association so very well. I am in awe. I have largeshoes to fill and excellent role models and sources for insight into theoffice that I, yet, do not have. I am honored, humbled and grateful tohave been entrusted with this position, and I promise my very besteffort, to work hard and to make MTNA proud. In 1976, the Tennessee Music Teachers Association (TNMTA) met in myhometown for a conference. As a part of the program I taught a lesson inthe Kodaly philosophy of music to a third grade class from our campusLab School. At the banquet I was seated beside Nadine Dresskell, MTNApresident from Arizona, and she made a very good impression on me forMTNA. Over the years I met Dolores Zupan, Richard Morris, James Norden,Margaret Lorince and Joan Reist, all of whom served as nationalrepresentatives to the Tennessee Conference. When I served on the MTNABoard as a Division president and later as secretary/treasurer, I workedwith Ruth Edwards, Rex Whiddon, Joan Reist, Wayne Gibson, PhyllisPieffer, Paul Stewart and Gall Berenson. These past two years I haveworked with Gall and Ann Gipson. I have learned about and gained insightinto MTNA having known and worked with each of them. Yet, I assume thepresidency with butterflies in my stomach and a desire to give my bestto MTNA and the music teachers and students all across this country. What inspired you to strive for the position of MTNA president? I remember being a little surprised when I was first asked tobecome president of my local association. Then came an opportunity tobecome secretary of TNMTA, then Collegiate Competition chair, then TNMTApresident. Shortly after that I became MTNA Southern Division CollegiateCompetitions chair, then secretary/treasurer, then president-elect andpresident. As an immediate past president of the Southern Division, Iserved a biennium on the Board of Directors during a time when ourpresent governing documents were being written. I served two years asthe national secretary/treasurer. I was a candidate for president-electa year after that service, but I was not elected. I was fortunate to beasked again to become a candidate for president-elect. In each positionI served, from local to national, I met so many wonderful people whowere involved in music and the teaching of music. I actually had apositive experience in every capacity I served, and I expect to have anenjoyable time while being president. While we most likely willencounter difficult issues, hopefully we will have divergent thinkingfrom our board, and after a thorough discussion of the issues, we willmake a decision. One's position, restricted by past experiences,will not always be the position that is taken by the board. Each memberof the board has a slightly different perspective that other members maynot have considered. We can disagree and still have a pleasant time. AsGary Ingle recently said, "It is better to debate an issue withoutsettling it than to settle an issue without debating it." As I reflect back on my life, it just seemed doors along the wayopened at the right time. I am very fortunate and grateful. The manywonderful MTNA teachers who give so much of themselves to their teachingand to the advancement of the profession are a continuing source ofinspiration. What would you like to see MTNA accomplish during your presidency? I would like for several things to happen. I would like for allMTNA members to become certified--not only for professional developmentbut as a statement to the public at large regarding the importance ofselecting fine teachers for musical instruction. I played doctor as achild with a little medicine bag and a toy stethoscope. My father was myfavorite patient. He could develop incredible symptoms, and my diagnosisand cure made him immediately well. Today, I could not practice medicinemerely because I played doctor as a child. There are individuals whoplayed a musical instrument in childhood who can teach music lessonsregardless of whether or not they are prepared or qualified. Our publicwould be well served to know the importance of proper training. Whilethere are many wonderfully well-qualified MTNA members who are notcertified and who see no reason to become certified, we could present aunited front to our public about the importance of being certified if weall were certified. It is a statement to the profession and to thepublic. I would like to see the FOUNDATION flourish with numerousFOUNDATION Fellows, increase members of the Legacy Society, and increasethe number and size of our endowments. I would like for all musicteachers to seek MTNA membership--from those who teach two or threestudents to those who earn a living as full-time music teachers. I wouldlike for all citizens to value the importance of music in our societyand demand its placement in the core of our educational system.Ambitious, one might say, but if one does not reach for something, howdoes one know what can be grasped. The baby in the play pen isconstantly reaching for things both inside the pen (box) and outside thepen (box). MTNA should continue its involvement and promotion of wellness. Thesession at the Milwaukee Conference was fascinating with the combinationof the medical profession, technology and musical performers. Whilehealing is extremely important, the future will undoubtedly place moreand more emphasis on prevention. It is an exciting time. [ILLUSTRATION OMITTED] Finally I would like to see our chamber music competition expanddown into the senior division. How did you first become involved with MTNA? As an undergraduate, TNMTA Conference came to campus. I met AlisonNelson and Harry Neal, and I remember many things they said, including,"You are your most important competition." I graduated, taughtthree years in the public schools, completed a master's degree, andassumed a position at the university where I had been an undergraduate.Shortly after that time, a local association was formed, and one of mycolleagues invited me to attend a meeting. I attended, I joined, and therest is history. Someone asked me to attend a meeting. During this year,I hope that each MTNA member will ask someone to attend a meeting."Each One Reach One." What has kept you involved with MTNA throughout your career? My desire to grow and become a better person, a better musician,and a better and more effective teacher demands my continued membership.There is so much that I do not know. I am inspired by the performancesat our conferences by the winners of our student competitions and ourguest artists and the excellent sessions. My first MTNA conference wasin Atlanta in 1977. I was excited to attend and excited to return to trythe new ideas I had learned. One particular session, given by DavidBurge, dealt with contemporary music. Although I thought it would not bea good session, it was a wonderful session. It opened my mind tocontemporary music. What is your favorite thing about teaching? The joy received in helping students learn. It is exciting to bearound young people. They teach you so much. The teaching/learningenvironment is stimulating and one of which I will never tire. I cannotimagine life without young people. You receive so much in teaching. Themore you give, the more you receive. An eager student provides addedmotivation and excitement for a teacher. It is a two-way street. It isvery gratifying. Young people keep you young. What led you to teaching piano and piano pedagogy? Growing up I remember wanting to be either a preacher or a teacher.You know, preachers teach and teachers preach. At one point I thought Iwanted to be an algebra teacher, but I hated those stupidproblem-solving questions about two bees traveling at different speeds,beginning at different times. I thought about being an English teacheras I loved grammar, but my teachers always thought my interpretations ofthe poems were unusual. I began piano study in the first grade andtrombone in the seventh grade. I loved music, so it seemed like anatural. My father was a chemistry major in college, yet l detestedchemistry. He never encouraged me to go into chemistry--in fact heencouraged me to be a teacher and to major in music. I liked playingpiano better than trombone, and I was better at piano, so I was akeyboard music education major as an undergraduate. After graduation Itaught elementary vocal music and maintained a studio of piano studentsin the afternoons. In graduate school, I took many piano pedagogyclasses. Everything just fell into place. Teaching is a high calling. And what could be better than teachingthis wonderful thing that we call music? Our Creator has endowed us withthe gift to create, perform, and enjoy music and to be inspired. It isan incredible opportunity to be able to share music with everyone. It isa very rewarding career. After having accomplished so much during your career, what are someof your professional goals for the future? I need to read more, not only books about music, composers,artists, but general non-fiction works. To continue to practice andlearn more repertoire. To continue to learn, grow and expand myhorizons. To live life to its fullest and to enjoy the ride. What would you like your MTNA legacy to be? Well, that is for present and future MTNA members to determine. Ihope they think I worked hard, did my best, and was a good person wholed by example and was inspiring. That l made the world a better placeby passing through. What is the best professional advice you have received? My father taught me to do my best, to be honest, and to be myself.If you do that, you can look yourself in the mirror every morning andlike what you see. When you have done your best, you have nothing ofwhich to be ashamed. He taught me to take things in the stride and to dothe right thing, no matter what others might say or want you to do. My mother taught herself to play piano while I was learning piano.She was able to play hymns in church. She instructed me to always take abig, deep breath before I began to play and to always jump ahead if Iencountered any difficulty. My high school Latin teacher always told us the three mostimportant things for a successful life were your relationship with yourCreator, your spouse and your profession. What are some of your interests outside of the music profession? I love to do yard work, to grow flowers outside and houseplantsinside. I love to travel. I also like racquetball and photography. Ialso like to cook since I do not have to cook three meals a day, sevendays a week. I cook when and if I want to, so that's why I likecooking. Finally, I must say I love college football and basketball as wellas professional football. After all, what would you expect a graduate ofThe Ohio State University to say?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment