Saturday, October 8, 2011
Metro Tech graduate lands dream job.
Metro Tech graduate lands dream job. When he began in the Aviation Maintenance Technology (AMT See vPro. ) programat Metro Technology Centers Metro Technology Center is a public career and technology education center located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma and is part of the Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education system. , Michael Michael, archangelMichael(mī`kəl)[Heb.,=who is like God?], archangel prominent in Christian, Jewish, and Muslim traditions. In the Bible and early Jewish literature, Michael is one of the angels of God's presence. Ray says, "I was willing tomake the needed changes in my life to get what I wanted, and althoughthe maintenance part wasn't was��n't?Contraction of was not.wasn'twas notwasn'tbe my original dream, I knew that it wouldbe a good opportunity for me to learn in-depth knowledge about thehelicopters that I so desired to fly." In 1998, Ray saw a Metro Tech advertisement while on a visit to seehis mother in Oklahoma. "Up to that point, I only knew about someof the larger schools in the country offering aviation programs,"says Ray, "but after checking out Metro Tech, I decided to enrollin their program." He began his AMT training at Metro Tech in 2000, and by 2001 he wasworking part time at Tinker Air Force Base under an agreement Metro Techhas with the Oklahoma City Oklahoma City(1990 pop. 444,719), state capital, and seat of Oklahoma co., central Okla., on the North Canadian River; inc. 1890. The state's largest city, it is an important livestock market, a wholesale, distribution, industrial, and financial center, and a farm Air Logistics Center to employ AMT students. He completed the program in February 2002, and notes Ray, "tothe credit of instructors Herman Bounds, Robert Hensley and MikeMoreland, I left Metro Tech very confident in my knowledge as amechanic. Herman Bounds really knows his engines and a tremendous amountabout helicopters. Mike Moreland's electrical course was excellent,and the hands-on training in Robert Hensley's course helped tobuild the confidence that I have today." By February 2003, Ray was employed full time at Tinker, working onKC135s, the huge planes known as the mid-air refueling planes. Butanother vacation trip would soon change that. On the Hawaiian island of Kauai, Ray walked into a helicoptercompany--Inter Island Helicopter Tours--and talked with one of thecompany's mechanics about their need for an airframe and powerplant(A&P) mechanic. The mechanic asked Ray if he was familiar with 337Alterations--a very detailed documentation process--to which Rayresponded yes. After taking Ray's information and promising to passit on to the president of the company, the mechanic told Ray,"Coincidentally co��in��ci��den��tal?adj.1. Occurring as or resulting from coincidence.2. Happening or existing at the same time.co��in , the president will be in Oklahoma City in twoweeks on business." Ray was surprised at the coincidence Coincidence is the noteworthy alignment of two or more events or circumstances without obvious causal connection. The word is derived from the Latin co- ("in", "with", "together") and incidere ("to fall on"). and wondered what businesswould bring the president of a Hawaiian company to Oklahoma. Two weekslater he found out. The president owns two helicopters leased to afederal agency in Oklahoma. "The president called and arranged to visit with me,"says Ray. "I met with the gentleman, interviewed and before heleft, I had a job offer." And what a job offer it was--a helicopter mechanic on the beautifulisland of Kauai at a salary in the mid- mid-pref.Middle: midbrain.60-thousand-dollar range. "I owe it to the training I received at Metro Tech," Raycomments. When asked about what he would say to other students enteringthe AMT program, he offers this advice: "to be serious about whatyou're out to accomplish, press your nose to the grindstone grindstoneor grind common metaphor for industriousness. [Pop. Culture: Misc.]See : Industriousness , andkeep up on all of your work. This is the key to successfully completingMetro Tech's Aviation Maintenance Technology program." As for flying helicopters, Ray says, "Oh, ground school isnext!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment